Saturday, January 08, 2005

More quotes for brakes and an update

Well, I have now had a quote for replicating the works brake system - including VAT but only for the calipers and discs comes to £1235!!!!!!

The search will go on for the best option but in the meantime I can continue with preparing the 7 for rallying.

First up is uprating all the rear suspension. I have already replaced all the bushes with polybushes in 2003 so I have now bought new uprated springs which are rated at 200lbs (standard 95) and one inch lowered. To go with these I have the rubber seats and uprated shock absorbers.

The shock absorbers have taken up much thought. I ordered a pair of AVO adjustables until I found out that the price was for one, not two! I am happy to spend a fair bit of cash but nevertheless, I am working to a budget.

I then very nearly bought a pair of adjustable Konis at S&S but, looking at them, they didn't seem of obviously superior quality and they are far from easy to adjust.

So, I have taken the advice of S&S and bought KYB Gas-adjust shock absorbers which they recommend and seem to have a good press in the states. They are also cheaper than the AVOs and Konis (but still 3 times the price of standard shocks).

I now have the S&S Preps recommended fast road set up - is this a sensible budget approach that will work in tarmac rallying? Only time will tell.

I have limited time this weekend so have only started the process of replacing the suspension - the pictures will show what stage I am at.

Next week I plan at least 4 or 5 hours which I hope will see the job done.

No comments: