Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A right mixed bag!

A weekend of different aspects Triumph wise.

First, a little bit sad was removing bits from BRP. As the car is not going to be used for a long time now and at some point will go into storage when PMW comes back out to play it makes sense to do some moving of stuff.

The front brakes had already come off and are now on UNJ.

Then I fitted some old wheels to the front so I could take off the pair of very good Michelins fitted to original TR7 alloys so that they could go into storage.

Then I removed the rally computer as there's no reason to leave a useful bit of kit in the car. Same with an Avanti map reading light, a tow rope and medical kit which are now in UNJ (and can be used in PMW too when it resumes first line duty).

Yesterday was a return to building up PMW's original engine.

The biggest amount of time was cleaning up the front plate removing old gaskets but once that was over it was bolted on and attention moved to the new camshaft seen in the picture prior to fitment.

A liberal coating of lubricant and then with a careful insertion (!) it was in the block and all secure.

Next was the rear crankshaft oil seal and rear engine plate going on in quick succession. The oil pump filter was seriously blocked but the use of Fairy power spray, rinsing out and blowing through with an airline cleared that soon enough.

All of a sudden the end is in sight - OK plenty to do yet but real progress at last. I couldn't get any further though as the engine stand wasn't available so with time available I moved on to PMW itself to start stripping the engine down for it's removal.

Here's PMW coming out of hibernation.

Off with the radiator, battery, alternator, fuel pump and coil leaving the engine bay a little bare. Mind you the inlet manifold refused to play ball so that was it for this week.

Next week it's the Raider's Triumph (event, not car!) so no progress for a couple of weeks or so.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Mini triumph

Today I spent the entire afternoon spannering etc but not on a Triumph.

In fact I made no progress on the 2000 engine rebuild at all.

No, I spent the afternoon waxoyling and generally fettling my wife's new car - a 1992 Mini as seen below.

Lovely car with only 18000 miles on the clock.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Possible addition

There could be a new addition to the fleet and this time not a Triumph!

Actually it's my wife looking to buy a small car to nip about in when the Peugeot 308 really isn't needed. Maybe a quick trip to the coast in the sun as well perhaps.

So we have looked at a 1992 Rover Mini today and it seems really good, very solid and with only 18000 miles on the clock. Lots of history with it and sitting on Rover "minilite" wheels - oh, and it's a very tasty shade of red too.

Real shades of the Italian Job!

Other than that though, a steady 3 hours again. Initially helping Bryce in his latest project which is a BMW Compact for a one make race series. Track rod ends proved very reluctant to come off but did so eventually.

Back on the engine rebuild for PMW it's slow and steady - old gaskets take some getting off I can tell you.

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Pendle & Pennine - the Raider's Triumph

A Club Triumph weekend this one.

Friday night was the Pendle and Pennine Area Meeting which, as always, was  a great night with lots of chat and banter.

Then on Saturday morning  Andy Flexney and I visited one of the secret locations for tests on the "Raider's Triumph". Andy will be in charge of this location and we spent a fair bit of time planning the tests which will be interesting and fun, but not too difficult for newcomers.

Then we spent some more time talking cars with persons unknown (for now as it could give the game away).

After all that I went over to the workshop to continue the rebuild of PMWs engine. Thanks to Mike Charlton obtaining two more shells for me the crank ald pistons are now in place and fully torqued up.