Saturday, July 20, 2013

Dropped nut syndrome

I have bought a reconditioned hub as I wasn't fully happy with the situation after last week.

That meant another wheel bearing kit as well of course but it certainly proved right to do as fitting the inner race needed inserting with a previous race and large hammer - rather different to last week when it just "fell in".

I was even more convinced it was the right thing to do when I took the old hub off the car and found the oil seal pushed out and the inner bearing complete with race now stuck onto the stub axle. In a few more miles it would have been like that time it failed and be welded on to the stub axle.

After swapping the brake disc over to the reconditioned hub and fitting the new wheel bearing kit it was put back on to the car. Along with adjusting the other side wheel bearing that was close of play for the front end.

To the rear now and replacement of the shock absorbers as one of them had leaked last week after I had replaced the springs! All of this went along nicely until a very unfortunate mishap.

Yes, dropped nut syndrome. I dropped the nut for the top of the nearside shock absorber and try as I might I cannot find it. Of course the old ones aren't the same size grrr!

Which means the job isn't finished and I can't test the car after all that effort.

So that's "dropped nut syndrome"

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Just a little bit more

As yesterday went so well I decided to do a bit more.

Although I had bought uprated 1" lowered springs UNJ sits high at the rear - 25" from the road to wheel arch on the nearside and 24" on the offside (!) so I bought another pair (they aren't that expensive).

So today I fitted the new pair which didn't take long but as I was letting the car back down the offside shock absorber started leaking oil. No doubt it was the extended state it reached whilst I was fitting the springs but it does mean I should replace both rears now - grrr!

Another test drive followed and maybe I am paranoid but I think there's a "wobble" starting which is from the hub that suffered the collapsed wheel bearing. I reckon it was damaged beyond repair as when I fitted the inner race for the wheel bearing it's supposed to be a press fit but it more or less just fell in.

The car has also now reminded me that it started to baulk on selecting 2nd and or 3rd gear when we were on the Welsh Tour so that needs investigating.

The main beam and flash had stopped working too but I have fixed that by cleaning an earth and improved the pathetic windscreen washers by blowing compressed air through the jets.

More work needed yet though.

Oh, and when I measured the ride height with the new lowered springs? 24 2/3" and 24"!!!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

11 miles and counting

After a lay off from all things Triumph due to my daughter getting married (Michelle to Bryce) and then us going on holiday, I at last got back to working on UNJ.

A steady process on a very hot day but rewarding so far.

Removed the nearside front strut, stripped it down so that I could fit the new spring insulators and the roller bearings. Once it was refitted to the car which was easier now I am using the jack technique I moved on to replacing the wheel bearing that had broken up.

I took care to clean every bit of swarf out of the hub and then replaced the bearing and refitted the hub, brake caliper and wheel.

3 1/2 hours work and it was time to give UNJ a test run.

First thing - no "clonk" as I set off and turned the steering wheel. I am sure this is where fitting the spring insulators have paid off as the front springs are now snugly located.

Then almost immediately I realised how light the steering now was - wow, those roller bearings really make a difference.

Following completing the usual test circuit I use of local roads which are a combination of town roads, local lanes (good for suspension and ride testing) and the A59 where a decent amount of speed can be built up it seems all is well.

That's why it's 11 miles and counting!

I am a bit paranoid though so I am thinking about getting a spare hub and building it up with a new wheel bearing. I can either fit this and keep the one just repaired as a spare or keep the new one as a spare - might be useful to have on the trip to Nice.

Meanwhile, I'll check the wheel bearings again in about 100 miles and adjust as needed.

Good to be out in UNJ though with the top down in the sun.