Saturday, February 26, 2011

Will I make the Pendle & Pennine Meeting?

The ball joint has been pressed out and new one fitted by Bryce with apparently no problems. I'll be picking it up tomorrow but I still keep working on a Triumph every weekend if I can.

I had thought about putting some time in on UNJ but then thought about wiring up the relays on PMW so that the headlight switch doesn't burn out on the HCR.

So that's what today's efforts were about - maybe an hour's work and then just do a bit on UNJ I thought.

I had wired up a new fuse box to feed the relays but the source I had chosen to feed this was from the starter motor connections - the wrong one of course so there was no power. Getting at these connections is not the easiest thing in the world but I did manage to swap the wiring over and at last had power to the fuse box.

At the same time though, I carefully made sure the main battery cable to the starter motor was secured away from the steering column (which it wasn't before) and then cable tied my power feed cables for the fuse box safely out of the way too.

Next was mounting a relay and supplying it with power from the now working fusebox and supplying it with an earth lead which I paced on the earth side of the offside horn.

Now, for the rest of wiring - it is possible to hack into the wiring loom and link power from the light switch to the relay and then abck from there to the loom where it was broked into so as to supply the lights. Someone on the 2000 register forum suggested something different though and although he seems a bit of a lone voice on this one I agree with him. Why not connect into the connector at the lamps to supply the feeds atc and then put the supply back again - that way there's no hacking into the loom and it could be put back standard with no harm done.

So, off with the grill to get at the back of the headlamps and disconnect the wiring. OK this looks do-able but I also then notice that there's some rust proofing needed in this area too!

Hmm - enough for today though I think.

Best part of 3 hours work and not even one relay wired up. Nothing done on UNJ either of course.

So, will I make the Pendle and Pennine meeting? Well I will but points are at stake and I'll sacrifice 2 if I don't go in a Triumph and as it stands none of them are on the road!

I need to just put the wires back on the offside headlamps even if I don't get a relay wired up for Friday night and I need to get that track arm back on. All of this should be achievable but then again?

No comments: