Saturday, February 21, 2009

Team Manager mode

Two weeks today at this time I am expecting BRP will be in a trailer, lots of spares and tools will be loaded and we are all on the way to our hotel - cool eh!

So this week it's been about bringing it all together.

I collected nearly £400 worth of spares from http://www.ss-preparations.co.uk/ who are helping out on a sale or return basis. Hopefully I won't need any of them on the day but I have realised that they will certainly end up selling me the two front wheel bearing kits because I'll be using them when I build up the group 4 brakes.

Next I have been on the phone to fellow Club Triumph member Mik Davis who not only races a Spitfire but also has a van and trailer. He has agreed to transport the car and spares etc as well as act as part of the service crew if his van is sorted in time which it looks like it will be.

Bryce will be coming along as service crew so we'll be a full Club Triumph team - let's list us all eh!

Martin Randle Driver
Sarah Johnson Co-driver
Berekeley Johnson Service crew
Mik Davis Service crew
Bryce Greenwood Service crew


I checked with the hotel this week too and we will be fine with parking the van, trailer, rally car and other car etc.

Meanwhile, Sarah is helping out on a stage rally at Manby today with the aim of learning co-driver/rally organiser stuff.

This afternoon I have been looking over BRP again and doing yet more little bits of tidying. The kind of things that are not essential and could be left if time was the problem but if they are done should make a difference.

The holes in the front panel where the Cibie steady bars mount are now plugged with white plastic number plate bolts. This was an idea that came to me during the week and seems 89P well spent!

Two pairs of sunglasses have gone into the car too - again a small thing but if needed they could make a big difference.

Then there's the "roof lining" to cover the bare metal and save the helmets from scratches. I had another big idea for this which seems to have worked but it's going to be a secret which will only be revealed if you are actually in the car!

Oh and then - wash the car, leather it off and touch up some paint chips. Again not strictly necessary but anything that helps preserve the car saves me money which could get in the way of entering the Manx - not what I want to happen.

After this I applied some period Michelin stickers I have been saving for 10 years or more. Only fair I reckon as Michelin are my employers and it's my wages that are where the funding comes from.

As well as all that I am after some team clothing for both the car crew and the service crew - all will be revealed if it happens.

There's alot to this rallying lark you know.

No comments: