The old one was completely shot at the gearknob end and I had bought a replacement some time ago but other things had got in the way - like getting the car to run, sort out a propshaft with a UJ that went AWOL and also clutch problems!
Anyway, I wondered how the fitting of the replacement would go and started off with taping the new one to the old and pulling through. That didn't work either way (from top or bottom) as there was too much of an obstruction.
So, with a sinking heart I pulled the old harness out completely. Now if I couldn't get the new one to co-operate there wouldn't be another one to guide it - gulp.
It wasn't a problem though and it went in from the bottom and up the gear lever shaft no problem. Then with unusual patience from me I refitted all the trim etc and went out on a test run.
No joy I am afraid as using the switch had no effect at all. I pulled over and found a blown fuse which I replaced but still no joy so I think I'll have to get my electric circuit tester out next week.
Meanwhile the car ran well apart from after about 15 miles it started to hesitate again - hmmm. When it is running though I am using more of the revs, up to 4500 now and my goodness it sounds great with a real howl from the exhaust.
I also found out the heater doesn't work which is no problem for the 10CR next September but is no good for use in the UK over winter.
So jobs to do now are
- Get the overdrive working
- See why the car is starting to hesitate again.
- Fix the heater (maybe the control isn't attached so that's where I'll start)