Saturday, November 08, 2008

Where's the logic?

After the roll cage the next bit will be the plumbed in fire extinguisher.

I had already bought one to meet the MSA rally specs, electric activation and plumbed in etc etc with all the kit to be fitted so as it "fires" into the engine bay and cockpit.

On reading the instructions it says that the nozzles for the interior should be aimed at the crew's feet - OK, fair enough but -

There's only two nozzles provided, one for the engine bay and one for the cockpit.

Well, if it's ever going to be needed then who do I choose to protect then? That can't be right can it? It's certainly not acceptable to me as I have a strong sense of self preservation but I am certainly not going to leave Sarah at more risk than me.

Having checked this out I found that the spec was right but the FIA system is double the size with four nozzles, not two. So, I contacted Lifeline the manufacturer and Demon Tweeks the retailer and between them they agreed to take my system back and exchange it for a new FIA system.

All credit to them, I had had my system for 5 months and they are time sensitive but they were OK about all this and I got the better system for an extra £120.

At the end of it I have an over spec system as far as national MSA regs are concerned but much better protection should it ever be needed (god knows I hope it never is) and am lighter to the tune of £120, money which could be spent on more performance but that's not my priority.

Fitting it will be interesting but that will have to wait just a little while as the project Manx team are autotesting this weekend.

No comments: