I am now making a "snag" list of course and the picture here shows the first thing on it. At the front of the inlet manifold which is also the casting for the thermostat housing there is a small core plug which is "weeping". This will have to be fixed before I take the car any distance and certainly before the 2 day "AutoEcosse"!
Then after that there were some niggle really.
- The reversing lights didn't work as I found out when I got home in the dark.
- The fuel gauge still wasn't working although the low fuel light flickered on the way home (I had only put 10 litres in for now)
- The indicators don't cancel and there's a squeak from the steering column shroud on turning corners sometimes. I think these may be related with something not quite right in the assembly.
- The instrument light for the temperature gauge wasn't working.
- The choke warning light stays on all the time.
So this afternoon I set about these smaller niggles. Crawling under the car and swapping the connections on the tank sender unit didn't cure the fuel gauge problem.
Next thing then was to remove the fuel gauge itself and replace it with one from a spare instrument panel I have. Success! It's very satisfying when you cure something.
Whilst the instrument panel was apart I also cleaned it all and replaced one of the bulbs so all the instrument lights now work too.
So that's items 2 and 4 sorted.
I think I have sorted out item 5 too with the sensor for the choke cable removed and repositioned.
What about the non functioning reversing lights? Well I first checked to see if there was power to them by putting the live feed to the side lights instead and they lit up so power was getting through. OK, must be a duff bulb and actually 2 duff bulbs one either side so I removed the bulb holder from the offside and found no bulb in there at all! Same story nearside. Fitting a pair of bulbs I had in my spares cured the "problem".
That's probably the easiest fix I have ever had to do.
The core plug and the non cancelling indicators will have to wait for a little while but not a bad effort overall.