Monday, June 27, 2005

Electronic ignition

Back to the 7.

A couple of years ago I got fed up with a persisitent misfire that I couldn't sort out so I took the car to S&S and asked them to solve it. Amongst many things done was a second hand dizzy fitted with new points etc which replaced my dizzy with Aldon Ignitor elctronic ignition fitted.

The misfire went away but we could never be sure if it was the electronic ignition or the dizzy.

Anyway, the car has been running well but over 4300RPM it holds back so I decided to throw the electronic ignition on it tonight and see if that helped. Well, it's a bit of a lash up at the moment but the car certainly seems much smoother and although there is some hesitation still, it seems to be higher up the revs at about 4700 and it's less severe.

So it seems like that's a job well done but I have now experienced something I had forgotten about - when you turn the key to start, the car "dies" before firing up which is very disconcerting!

No comments: